How do you choose perfect names for a Chocolate Lab male? Not that one Lab needs more than one name, but you want to have several from which to choose. Where can you find names that would suit a male Chocolate Labrador Retriever?
You may have brought the puppy, or puppies, home before you thought about names. You saw a sale, or you visited breeders and fell in love with the Chocolate Labs. Now you need names.
Significance-oriented Names for a Chocolate Lab Male
The significance of a name can take it out of the ordinary and make it unique. While “Chocolate” is a fitting name for a Chocolate Lab male, a name that has similar, but not so open significance is likely to be one of a kind.
Perfect names for a Chocolate Lab male may draw on his coloring. They might hint at his outgoing temperament, or his love of hunting. Here are several examples.
1. Male Chocolate Lab Names Related to Color:
- Bronius – brown (German)
- Burnell – brown (English)
- Burnett – brown (English)
- Carob – chocolaty-tasting carob tree pod
- Cocoa – cocoa
- Donnghal – brown and valour (Gaelic)
- Duncan – brown chief (Gaelic)
2. Male Chocolate Lab Names Related to Temperament
- Aleef – likeable and friendly (Arabic)
- Anis – friendly (Arabic)
- Blandus – sweet and friendly (Latin)
- Edon – loving (Albanian)
- Felic – happy (Latin)
- Fenton – nature-loving (English)
- Forest or Forster – of the forest (English)
- Hyun-Ki – wise and energy (Korean)
- Lieven – loving friend (English)
- Sylvan – loving nature (French)
3. Male Chocolate Lab Names Related to Hunting
- Fielding – one who works the fields (English)
- Jaegar – one who hunts (German)
- Moses – drawn out of the water (Hebrew)
- Orion – hunter (Greek)
Perfect names for a Chocolate Lab male might just happen, as it did with one of our dogs. You’re playing with the puppy, rolling him around and wondering what to call him. He babbles puppy squeaks and sharp barks at you. You babble back in gobbledygook. Then, without warning, the gobbledygook sounds like a name. You try it, and the puppy responds eagerly. You try it again and get the same response. It might be completely different from what you thought you would name a dog, but somehow it fits.
Sometime, the perfect name for your Chocolate Lab will be the name of a person from history. Attila might fit a rambunctious puppy. Nimrod was a famous hunter. Chaplin was a famous clown – which your Chocolate Lab might well be.
It is said that a dog will live up to the name you give him. From that standpoint, perfect names for Chocolate Lab males might be adjectives such as “happy” or “lucky”.
Perfect names for a Chocolate Lab male should usually be at least two syllables. Longer names prove easier for a dog to hear than shorter ones. For example, “Chocolate, come” is much easier for your dog than “Lab, come.”
Test names before giving them to your dogs. Be sure they don’t sound like a word you will be using as a command. “Cocoa” should be pronounced “Co-co-a” to avoid confusion with the command “No.”
Once you choose a name, use it many times each day so the dog will learn it. Always use it in a positive way. If the dog is naughty, scold him without using his name. You want your Chocolate Lab to like his name, and come the minute he hears it.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.