A Black Labrador Retriever’s care is fairly easy. Since these dogs are friendly and kind, they do not resist care as some feisty little dogs do. Also, Black Labs are eager to please, and this extends to basic care. They are strong, so a small child will be unable to take care of a Black Lab, but a healthy adult should have no problem.
- Your Black Lab will eat almost anything. In fact, it may eat things that are not good for it. To take care of a Black Lab, you need to give it proper food, and guard against it eating junk.
- Remember that your Black Lab is a high energy dog. Choose a dog food that will supply energy needs.
- Watch your Lab’s intake. Overweight Labs can develop health problems, including heart disease and arthritis.
You won’t need a professional groomer to take care of a Black Lab.
- Black Labs love water, so an occasional bath to keep it smelling good will be fun for all involved.
- Take care of a Black Lab’s coat by brushing it once a week with a slicker brush to control shedding.
- Trim your Black Lab’s toenails once every month to avoid foot problems. Toenail trimmers are available at pet stores.
Black Labs require a lot of exercise. Although they are happy indoors, you can only take care of a Black Lab’s exercise needs with a regular, daily playtime of 30 to 60 minutes. This should include outdoor running and games of fetch whenever possible.
Chew toys are essential if you want to take care of a Black Lab’s emotional and physical needs properly. Chew toys are entertaining for the dog, and give its jaws important exercise.
If you take care of a Black Lab properly, it can be expected to live for 10-12 very enjoyable years.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.